Is Jesus Coming Soon?

Early into the pandemic I was asked the question, ‘is Christ coming back soon?’ It’s a legitimate question that is often asked when there are significant, catastrophic events – whether man made (wars, anarchy, genocide, widespread human depravity, global economic recessions) or “acts of God” – (earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanic eruptions, floods, drought, blood moons, and yes, pandemics). What struck me was the word tacked on at the end of the question, ‘soon’. Not just ‘is Christ coming back?’ but ‘is Christ coming back soon?’ In the final book of the Bible, in the final chapter, Jesus spoke these words:

“And behold, I am coming soon. Blessed is the one who keeps the words of the prophecy of this book.” Revelation 22:7

When Jesus spoke these words and whenever the topic of His second coming came up, the Lord and the Scripture writers emphasized how we ought to live in light of the reality of His coming, not the timing of His coming. For example, the word translated soon could mean quickly or swiftly, but it can also mean without delay and undoubtably this is what Jesus meant since it’s been over 2,000 years since He spoke these words. His coming will be without unnecessary delay and in the perfect timing of the Lord.

Questions can reveal a lot about what is on a person’s mind, what is important to them, or what fuels their motivations. The question, “Is Jesus coming soon?” could reveal that a person wants to know if they should start getting serious about their relationship with the Lord. If He is coming soon then there would be added motivation to get their spiritual life in order and start doing what God says they should be doing. If He’s not coming soon, then presumably, there’s no urgency and we can take it easy and do our own thing. Pastors, preachers, and evangelists have at times used the imminent return of Christ as the torch to ignite the fires of lukewarm Christians.

But Jesus resisted doing this. While Jesus gave us some indications of what life will be like as we get closer to the end of history, He also redirects us from fruitless speculation on timing and pointed us toward fruitful living where we are ready at all times for the Lord’s return. Twice the Scriptures recount the flood that destroyed the world as a warning for those who live as if the Lord’s return will not actually happen (Matthew 24:36-39; 2 Peter 3:3-7). Christ’s return, no matter when it happens, provides us with the assurance that Satan will ultimately be vanquished. There will be a dawn after this present darkness. Satan does not have the last word, and we stand with the Lord of Hosts and victory is ours. Knowing this, we can live courageously even in the face of temporary setbacks.

The overriding emphasis related to Jesus’ second coming is for us to be ready. When Jesus was asked by His disciples when He would restore the kingdom to Israel, He told them flat out that it wasn’t their business to know about the timing of when this would happen. Instead, they were to be His witnesses throughout the world (Act 1:6-8). There’s no doubt that we are living in dark times and Paul’s description of the last days seems to accurately reflect what we see every day in our headlines:

1 But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. 2 For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, 4 treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5 having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. 2 Timothy 3:1-5

Yet our responsibility isn’t to judge the world or condemn the world but to bear witness of Christ through our gracious words and our loving actions. Is there a place for standing up for righteousness? Yes! Paul’s instruction to the Corinthians is crucial.

9 I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10 not at all meaning the sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. 11 But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one. 1 Corinthians 5:9-11

When it comes to people entrapped by sin, it makes a big difference if they are fellow believers or not. If they are, then the sin needs to be dealt with in a gentle and straightforward way. If it gets to the point where the believer refuses to repent, then disassociating with the person can be the most loving thing to do. But if the person is an unbeliever, we don’t disassociate with them, we get close to them, love them, share with them, and minister to them! Christians seem to get this backwards. We fail to deal with our sins but are quick to point out the sins of the world. It’s no wonder how we’ve earned our reputation of being judgmental hypocrites!

Christians often feel compelled to uphold God’s holiness by condemning the sins of the world. Yet when Jesus had an adulterous woman brought before Him, He chose not to condemn her. He wasn’t stating that adultery was acceptable He was simply showing the power of mercy triumphing over judgment. Christ is coming again, let’s ready ourselves by being salt in a world that is decaying, and light in a world that is plunging into darkness. Let’s go and make disciples.

63 Comments

Shanda - May 31st, 2021 at 10:58pm

We as Christians must stand up for righteousness and not compromise and go along with what the world is doing.

Jesus and the disciples spoke the truth but today we are not speaking against sin as we should in America.

America has sinned greatly against God amd must repent as a Nation, America allow Gays to marry, God forbid, America making right wrong and wrong right.

In the last days people will have itchy ears and would rather belive a lie than the truth.

These words came to me as clear as day a few months before the pandemic hit, "Jesus is nigh", he's closer than we think and things are only going to get worse.

Then I heard a voice in March, have the exact date written down "Go and tell my people to turn frpm their wicked ways" and the LGBQT community was shown to me as clear as day.

Wayne Bruyns - September 18th, 2021 at 12:07pm

You need help

Zach - October 16th, 2021 at 10:45am

Nations do not sin, people do. Nations can't repent, people can. I cannot repent for your sin, but I can pray for you.

The world needs less condemnation and more prayer.

Jeremiah Dollente - July 12th, 2021 at 11:27am

I hope Jesus will come again in my lifetime.

For all my life I am 95 percent righteous. I faithfully observed the laws of man and God in 31 years of my life.

Whether we choose to be rich or poor in this world, the system of leadership is always evil.

It is the coming of Jesus Christ our only hope.

Climate crisis is coming and humanity will end on the next decades as we observed the deterioration of environment.

Keith - September 20th, 2021 at 3:41pm

The Lord is coming very soon the Promised Prophet of the book of Malachi 4:5 is amongst us kindly search Repentance and Holiness Channel then follow up,this is the hour to prepare for the coming of the Messiah

Rainer - November 10th, 2021 at 3:46am

People keep saying that Jesus is coming back. People keep saying that it's obvious as we look around us these days. People been saying the same thing(s) for 2000 years already.

Bad times is of all times. Study history and honestly tell me times are worse now then they were 500 years ago. War, diseases, adultery, sexslaves, plagues, pandemics, torture, climat change, destruction and so on and so on. It's really is nothing new and in many ways actually better today than 600 years ago.

Believe me, I really hope we will be the ones to witness Christ's return. I'm just really done with people telling me He's coming (very) soon. We just don't know.

Briam - November 26th, 2021 at 9:19am

No one knows the time or date of Jesus' return

Kelly Elaine - October 23rd, 2021 at 12:29am

If you believe in God and the bible, then you should know that the Bible states that GOD made the earth sustainable. There is no such thing as "climate crisis." That is a form of idolatry to believe that, and there is no science that backs that up. I pray that GOD opens your eyes to the deception going on. The end times will have nothing to do with "climate change"

Kelly - December 15th, 2021 at 4:57pm

He uses science to explain his ways. If you don’t believe in science, you can’t believe in God. Simple. Climate change is real & So is God.

Thanh - November 4th, 2021 at 2:56am

I witness he came. Email me so i can show you the proof

Crystal Smith - January 15th, 2022 at 8:42pm

Show me

Scott - July 12th, 2021 at 5:43pm

Yes Jesus is coming soon. He commands us to know the season that he is coming. He compares it to a pregnant woman. She knows shes pregnant and will deliver in about 9 months but she knows not the day nor the hour. Ye must repent and be born again to see the kingdom of heaven Jesus says. Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: “Death has been swallowed up in victory.” Where, O death, is your victory?

Where, O death, is your sting. 1 Corinthians 15

Jamie Richard - November 17th, 2021 at 7:53pm

Amen that's in Revelation of the second coming of Christ. We are reading Revelation 19 Sunday and the bride need to be ready for the bridegroom bc it will be to late to get ready we need to already be ready

Scott - July 12th, 2021 at 6:10pm

There is certain signs in the bibe that will give people a idea when its getting very close and even when Jesus is at the door to come. I think one of the greatest signs is right now with all the hate and division. People hating everything that is good. And one of the greatest signs is the re birth of Israel!!!! That generation that sees Israel become a nation again will not pass to see Jesus come again. We are living in times that never was like this and will only keep getting worse. We live in a fallen world and it will never stop falling til the King of Kings come with all his glorious angles and all his saints with him. Jesus said keep ur eye on Israel because everything will start over in that area. Read the book of Daniel. He tells us everything that's gonna happen. I'm 52 years old and I've never seen the world get bad so fast and nations rising up and just the overall evil that's going on and its happening very very fast.

Thanh - November 4th, 2021 at 3:11am

I witness jesus came in physical body. He can stop the rain, raise the sun. His words is the sword. Kingdom heaven is at hand, forgiveness of sins is available to everyone. Email me at [email protected] com i can show you the proofs

Rainer - November 10th, 2021 at 3:50am

No. Just no. Stop saying times are worse than ever before. They are not. Really, they're not!

Does anyone have any interest in history anymore? Study and research, plenty of knowledge out there.

Davidh - November 14th, 2021 at 10:39am

Well Scott, I’m 72 and could not agree with you more. The swift downfall, just a matter of weeks, was/is surprising. Looking up for sure! See you in eternity.

Erika Armstrong - December 21st, 2021 at 10:07pm

What is gonna happen in Israel

Crystal Smith - January 15th, 2022 at 8:54pm

I agree 100% I’ve been doing some studying not a lot but about 12 years ago I was trying to see if there was enough Jewish people in Israel that we’re christens an there was not at that time there was only about 60,000 now there is 177,000. I’m sure some will be raptured from there but I believe he God now has enough christens the to be his witnesses an the fig tree generation ends in 2029 subtract 7 years from that for the years of the tribulation an that puts us close. Only God know the hours he will come but we can know like we know the seasons. An for that matter there are only 2 million Jewish christens world wide sence 1949. Sadly more Jewish people died in the holocaust. I pray many more people world wide come to Christ asap.

Farrah Phipps - July 21st, 2021 at 9:22am

Ok so, I only recently discovered my true faith. I have yet to read the bible, which I will begin now. Because the waters drawing so close, people are worried. The earth is rattling, i am nervous. The sun is hot. I found faith in MYSELF. Not a god from the bible, not a god from another religion, but a god within myself. We all have god inside of us! That is one thing true.. but what some fail to realize is to take the bible with a grain of salt. Use it for good, do not just BLINDLY FOLLOW. The lqbtq community has NO sin. To be with another mind is NO sin. To be sexually devious and strongly lustful always, may not be good for others, whoever is feeling that way etc. Life is ending shortly, so we must repent. We must offer up our helping hands and see the light. The light we have destdoyed is not coming back. Whatevee light is left here, we must use to bring love. Only love can awaken one, and only love can hurt us so bad. To be numb and cold is to be weak. To find love in the face of something so treacherous is beautiful and could very well be your saving grace. Not "jesus christ." Dont put your faith into another entity. It is YOU, who is using your brain. Wherever you come from, find god within YOURSELF. That is true faith. Us connecting with our energy and helping all. No matter the cost to ourselves.

Chris Hillard - July 24th, 2021 at 12:39pm

Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me. John 14:6

Believing in yourself for salvation and not Jesus and only Jesus is not right. Please reconsider your beliefs.

Emelyne - September 5th, 2021 at 4:36pm

Dear brother good night.

I was just reading your comment about the coming back of Jesus I noticed that you don't believe in Him.

Jesus Christ that us Christians believe is the way,the truth and the life,whoever believes in Him shall not perish but will receive eternal life.

Remember in the time of Noah,they were eating,drinking,getting married and did all kinds of sins,but Noah was advicing them to repent but they wouldnt listen,u til the flood came and destroyed all of them except Noah's family.

It is going to be the same for people who don't believe in Jesus Christ now,believing in yourself will not save you my brother,but Jesus Christ can save you.The time will tell where there will be mourning and grinding of teeth when Jesus comes back,many people will wish to get even a second so that they can repent from all their sins,but time will be already up.No reevaluation will be granted.Time to beleive in Jesus is now as He is still sitting on the Throne of grace and mercy.

Sorry if I have said anything wrong but I wanted to advice you.

Thanks and have a blessed night.

John3:16

Jamie Richard - November 17th, 2021 at 8:02pm

Your right about because all unbelievers will have to pay for there sins when Jesus comes back. I want to be in the white and him saying well done my good and faithful servant

Kelly Elaine - October 23rd, 2021 at 12:33am

You are so wrong, respectively. We are human, and there is only one GOD. That is evil to claim that you are in any way comparable to GOD. Thats evil in itself.

Rachel Afflitto - October 29th, 2021 at 3:10pm

I'm sorry, but you are incorrect in everything that you just said. Jesus said, I am the way, the truth and the life. Noone comes to the Father but by me! I will pray for you! I am not judging you, I just want you to know the truth!

Jamie Richard - November 17th, 2021 at 7:58pm

Make sure you start reading the bible

M.Tellez Jr - December 5th, 2021 at 6:46am

You have yet to read the Bible so until you do , then you can comment. Ask God for wisdom while you are at it. Then comment .

Kelly - December 15th, 2021 at 5:07pm

Its their opinion and her way of thinking. They clearly said they believe in God but also in themselves. We all come from God. Dont tell someone they cant comment. Its not your place

Franki Solomon - December 19th, 2021 at 1:27pm

so like i’m 15. and i don’t know what to believe. yes i believe in god and everyday i wonder when he’s going to come back. reading all these comments is making me have mixed feelings. to be honest i’m scared

M.Tellez Jr - December 5th, 2021 at 7:25am

Miss Farrah Phipps :

You have yet to read the Bible (God’s Wotd)

Believe me that when you do read it with your heart you wii know the truth.

Besides our earthly father we are either children of our Heavenly Father God in Heaven or children of Satan himself.

The good thing is that you get to choose

your Father. I suggest you read the Bible so that you get to know God who truly Loves

you and doesn’t want you to spend eternity with Satan in hell.

Please read the Bible and really get to know Jesus Christ. Because no one comes to our Heavenly Father in Heaven. but through Jesus Christ🙏

Crystal Smith - January 15th, 2022 at 9:12pm

I would like to say I’m happy that you are feeling love an light in your life. I would suggest for you to feel the full brightness of true love Open the Bible an read with an open mind an heart. Get an notebook an write any questions that might come up in your mind an call a friend or look things up. Get the facts. The Bible is factual. I also this a video on YouTube is very I lightening. It’s called Prophetic parallels. It really good for learning. I’m praying you come to know the true bit will say there are no answers to every question on earth. So take it with a grain of salt. There are mysteries the will not be unfolded because our minds don’t have the full capability of understanding every single thing. The light of God has shown on you ha has waken you. That’s in all dna. He has called so now fill yourself with his knowledge. God bless you. The New Testament is a great place but you have to read the old as well. The old is our Ancestry. It’s very insightful. Good luck. An your more then welcome to email me anytime. [email protected]

Mohib Ahmad - July 26th, 2021 at 2:51pm

Imam MAHDI( Google it) also will come with Prophet Jesus Christ

GodIsSavior - September 3rd, 2021 at 4:10am

Jesus is our savior and god is our father he died for us and for our sins because he loves everyone And us Christians gotta stand up for righteousness god bless u Amen.

Richard Woods - September 3rd, 2021 at 7:42am

With Everything you've pointed out people are still pointing out the sins of others instead of focusing on their own flaws and sins. I can't recall a time in my life when I didn't feel close to God and Jesus. I know they love me unconditionally. And each of us was given the gift of free will. Personally I don't trust the Bible. It's a good place to start if your a new creature to Jesus. But the first Bible wasn't created until the year 1455 and it was a couple of centuries more until it was common for everyone. Over the centuries the catholic church dictated what was allowed to go into the Bible. When I need a question answered or I need information I go straight to God through Jesus Christ for my information! God doesn't judge America for the sins of what others may commit! God isn't a respector of borders or Class. God doesn't want us trying to make anyone do anything. He wants us to follow his laws and commandments because we love him and we want to follow his commandments! That's a problem in America, churches and Christians alike tries to force what they believe to be God's laws and commandments onto others. Force them to follow God's commandments. I'm sorry but that's not God's way! It may sound like a cleshay but I ask myself what would Jesus do, how would he handle it? Try it!

Shay - September 8th, 2021 at 8:27pm

Is he coming I’m excited and scared in trying to do better

ray - October 12th, 2021 at 12:47pm

same Ill see you in heaven

Jamie Richard - November 17th, 2021 at 8:07pm

Get excited and get to doing better because it will not be no excuses when he comes. So do better and try your best to stay that way bc he is coming to a church without a spot or a wrinkle

Amber - September 14th, 2021 at 10:39pm

God says we have to forgive or he can't for give us. Be kind and treat others as we want to be treated. It's so simple . rebuke Satan daily and live God's ten rules and if u fall short .repent and try harder. God bless u all

OCHIENG - September 16th, 2021 at 4:59am

We need to keep our selves holy.

Free from worldly pleasure.

Seeking the kingdom of heaven.

Seeking GOD's love for us.

Doing GOD's will , praying and helping others.

Anonymous - September 21st, 2021 at 12:01pm

He is risen.

Brian Rudolph - October 5th, 2021 at 8:01pm

I don't believe that natural climatic catastrophe's are acts of God, they are a result of the fall of man. We live under grace and a day of judgement is reserved for those that deny God's provision of salvation through Christ.

Concerning Christ's return and whether that time is near? One only needs to read Matthew 24 to see that it truly is. Yet, no man knows the day nor the hour of his return.

Autum Livingston - October 13th, 2021 at 5:24pm

When is god coming back I miss him

Big daddy - October 15th, 2021 at 4:24pm

Big daddy so hard on my baby

Pauline - October 20th, 2021 at 8:02pm

Jesus is coming soon weather you believe it or not when we go you'll be scared ,shocked alot of fear,and you can't do anything the devil will take over you'll want to repent but it will be to late he will not come back you won't go

Julian Garcia - October 26th, 2021 at 8:21am

Religion is mass hypnosis and I'd rather have heroes on My buttocks

Rachel - October 30th, 2021 at 2:40am

What a shame Julian. Blasphemy is a sin that is not forgiven...bye bye.

comfort - October 29th, 2021 at 12:08am

I pray Jesus come swifly

Mark Henderson - November 24th, 2021 at 6:50pm

Unfortunately, Jesus is a myth. No second coming.

Mark Henderson - November 24th, 2021 at 6:55pm

Well ya, most men do

Ron Luck - October 31st, 2021 at 11:46am

He will come like a thief in the night and every eye shall look upon him theres only one that knowa the return and thats God himself not even Jesus knows ....

Mark Henderson - November 24th, 2021 at 6:52pm

No he wontest come. Just a silly fairy tale

Danielle Boyle - October 31st, 2021 at 10:56pm

Will I be raptured I really wanna go home

Jamie Richard - November 17th, 2021 at 8:13pm

All I can say we all want to go to heaven but we all better be living right. And if you know your ready you have no worries. God bless you

Mark Henderson - November 24th, 2021 at 6:54pm

Sorry, no such thing as “raptured” , just more fake BS from Christians

Anil - November 1st, 2021 at 12:24am

Matthew 18:20

For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.”

(for Jesus to be in the midst He has to be with us)

Jesus is already with those who believe in His words

1 John 5:12

He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.

Thanh - November 4th, 2021 at 2:59am

I witness jesus came in physical body. He can stop the rain, raise the sun. His words is the sword. Email me [email protected] so i can show you the proof

Jamie Richard - November 17th, 2021 at 8:14pm

Yep that's what's going to be in his mouth when he comes the sword. And not a knife lol

Mark Henderson - November 24th, 2021 at 6:50pm

Send me the proof

Piqvin - November 13th, 2021 at 6:34am

He is here and has been here for 38 years. He did not know who he was. Evil took him from birth. As blind as everyone else he chose God. Merry Christmas. Tanks to all believers it warms a tirsdag body.

Mark Henderson - November 23rd, 2021 at 6:50pm

WOw! You are correct!! The Bible has it all correct!! Down to the last verse! So sell all your belongings immediately! Or else Jesus may not love you anymore.

Spency - December 26th, 2021 at 8:23pm

At the beginning of the year the Lord told me polarization, he also led me through Isiah 62 up to verse 11, he gave me a knock to the head and a flash in the spirit on verse 11, which reads see, your savior comes!

Jay - December 29th, 2021 at 8:27pm

For a new perspective on this question, see:

wisemenofthewest.com/2021/12/29/why-is-christs-coming-so-long-delayed/